Michigan Mob

The place for Oak Island related discussion. Got a question about the mystery? Need some pointers on where to find out more?

Moderators: Jo, admiralbenbow

Michigan Mob

Postby wayward on Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:25 pm

I am wondering why nobody here is mentioning Marty and Rick Lagina's debut on the History Channel tonight.
on the trail of the grail
wayward
Digging for Diamonds

Re: Michigan Mob

Postby wayward on Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:11 am

wayward wrote:I am wondering why nobody here is mentioning Marty and Rick Lagina's debut on the History Channel tonight.

I watched the show last night and it was somewhat interesting, perhaps more so for someone not too familiar with the subject. I have always thought that the "booby trap drains" would have been nearly impossible to create with the then available technology.
wayward
Digging for Diamonds

Postby KurtS on Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:32 am

I had no idea the program was on until I saw someone mention it in a completely unrelated forum, then came here just now to see if there was any information.

If anyone missed the first episode (like me), it re-airs on January 12 at 6pm on the HISTORY CHANNEL.

Here's a link to the show:

http://www.history.com/shows/the-curse-of-oak-island

Link to broadcast times and episodes:

http://www.history.com/shows/the-curse- ... d/episodes
KurtS
Digging for Coal

Postby wayward on Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:53 pm

KurtS wrote:I had no idea the program was on until I saw someone mention it in a completely unrelated forum, then came here just now to see if there was any information.

If anyone missed the first episode (like me), it re-airs on January 12 at 6pm on the HISTORY CHANNEL.

Here's a link to the show:

http://www.history.com/shows/the-curse-of-oak-island

Link to broadcast times and episodes:

http://www.history.com/shows/the-curse- ... d/episodes

Thanks for the links Kurt, but the lack of interest here makes me wonder if many have given up on Oak Island. There is still a Holy Grail out there people and Oak Island provides one of the compasses. :wink:
wayward
Digging for Diamonds

Postby Merlin on Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:32 pm

I saw the first episode and enjoyed it.
I'm planning on continuing to watch them.
I haven't been in the forum for a long while, and watching has rekindled my interest.
OITS member
Merlin
Digging for Gold

Postby wayward on Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:45 pm

Merlin wrote:I saw the first episode and enjoyed it.
I'm planning on continuing to watch them.
I haven't been in the forum for a long while, and watching has rekindled my interest.

Hi Merlin, did you see last nights episode? If you didn't and get a chance watch it, they rerun it through the week.
wayward
Digging for Diamonds

Postby Merlin on Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:59 pm

I haven't seen the second one yet.
It's on my DVR.
Probably tomorrow.

Wow. I can't believe I've been around since 2005.
OITS member
Merlin
Digging for Gold

Postby Dave on Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:07 pm

I saw the second episode (FYI: History Channel has all episodes available on "on-demand" and you might even be able to watch them on their website).

Second episode deals with 2 interesting things:

1) They dive in Smith's Cove and observe 4 rectangular stone markers that they claim line up and point to the money pit. Obviously these haven't been officially surveyed (to my knowledge), and they didn't look obviously man made, but it's certainly possible.

2) They dug for an found coconut fiber. They took it to a local university to have it ID'd and it was confirmed by a botanist (using SEM) as coconut fiber. They also had it carbon dated and the date they put on it was between 1200 and 1400 AD (IIRC). This is very interesting to me as we had lots of discussions about this when I was more active on this board (years ago). To me this is pretty definitive proof that someone from a more tropical climate visited OI a long time ago (not necessarily 800 years ago, but well before the 1800s).

One of the not so interesting things they made a big deal of was recovering small bones from their pump out of 10X (they are using air to force water/material out of the hole, letting it settle in a settling tank and then sieving the material). One guy seems excited that they might be human bones (I guess they could be finger bones), but they really look like animal bones to me.
Dave
Digging for Gems

Postby wayward on Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:29 pm

Dave wrote:I saw the second episode (FYI: History Channel has all episodes available on "on-demand" and you might even be able to watch them on their website).

Second episode deals with 2 interesting things:

2) They dug for an found coconut fiber. They took it to a local university to have it ID'd and it was confirmed by a botanist (using SEM) as coconut fiber. They also had it carbon dated and the date they put on it was between 1200 and 1400 AD (IIRC). This is very interesting to me as we had lots of discussions about this when I was more active on this board (years ago). To me this is pretty definitive proof that someone from a more tropical climate visited OI a long time ago (not necessarily 800 years ago, but well before the 1800s).

Actually there is much more to it than that. The dating was between 1260 and 1400 btw, but also it is important to note that prior to 1499 coconut fibre did not exist in the Atlantic Basin including the Gulf of Mexico. And also important is that coconut fibre was woven into "coir" in India at and well before this time period. Coir was used for rope and packing for shipping and found its way into the Eastern Mediterranean. There are very few possibilites for how this coir could have found its way from the Eastern Med. to Oak Island. But, it is well know that the Knights Templar sailed from Cyprus to France (more than likely there own port of LaRochell on the Atlantic)in early 1307 and that these ships disappeared in September of that year. I have been working on this premise now for several years and would welcome any reasonable discussion on the subject.---Bill

An interesting aside is that coconuts did exist on the Pacific side of the Americas before this time (which is a mystery unto itself).
wayward
Digging for Diamonds

Postby Dave on Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:19 pm

Can you please provide a reference for this assertion that coconuts didn't exist in the Atlantic/Caribbean basin prior to 1500?

Thanks in advance.
Dave
Digging for Gems

Next

Return to General Discussion