Just got RV Harris' book

The place for Oak Island related discussion. Got a question about the mystery? Need some pointers on where to find out more?

Moderators: Jo, admiralbenbow

Re: Just got RV Harris' book

Postby JodyLane3 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:51 pm

Sorry it has taken me so long to come back to this, but a bug got into the computer and it has taken me awhile to get into some sites, like hotmail for example. I have to admit that the Harris book was a better read than I expected. While following most of Blair's way of thinking he did at times offer other alternatives, especially in trying to sort out the beginning of the search as to when and who was involved.

jody
JodyLane3
Digging for Gold

Re: Just got RV Harris' book

Postby opus on Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:34 pm

All,

For those of a certain age, the Harris book was the first widely available manuscript of the Oak Island mystery. In short order, there was a flurry of activity and with the competing hunters (DB and FN) still in their "finding prime", a lot of new information *ahem* surfaced. Ther were even competing authors - D'Arcy and the late William Crooker.

As to the greed aspect, I will relate to you what is standard business practice in the oilpatch in Calgary - if company 1 owns the mineral lease for drilling in a certain area and another company wants to drill said lands, then a deal to drill by company 2 can be made. The deal usually goes as follows: Company 2 will pay 100% of the costs to drill and (presuming economic success) after the well costs have been paid for by production, company 2 will get 50-65% of the mineral lease and subsequent production from that lease. We call it a farm-in by Company 2 or a farm-out by Company 1 depending on your frame of reference.

Sounds unfair or greedy? When large sums of money and high degrees of risk are involved, people will weigh the costs and benefits of the activity. Economic cases are run and the geoscientists and engineers weigh the pros and cons of the estimated value of the lease. Why would Blair do anything different?

Opus
A treasure hunter will take your money and his experience and turn it into his money and your experience.
opus
Digging for Diamonds

Previous

Return to General Discussion