Just got RV Harris' book

The place for Oak Island related discussion. Got a question about the mystery? Need some pointers on where to find out more?

Moderators: Jo, admiralbenbow

Just got RV Harris' book

Postby JodyLane3 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:53 pm

I just got it in the mail and haven't started reading it yet. Kinda curious how rosy a picture he paints of the whole Blair period.
JodyLane3
Digging for Gold

Re: Just got RV Harris' book

Postby Tank04 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:43 pm

Jody,

Great book, highly recommended, but not without it's foibles of course as it is with any historical account or chronicle I hope you enjoy it, don't get trapped in the missing details or things that don’t seem to line up initially, don't allow yourself to stop at one book either (I'm sure you have more), go further and read what other authors have to say about his great and fascinating part of historical.

Which one do you have, his first or second edition?
Curator, Explore Oak Island Display,visit: http://chesterbound.com/Oak%20Island/ex ... Island.htm
Tank04
Treasure hunter

Location: Chester Municipality, Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia

Postby JodyLane3 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:25 pm

The second one. Yeah I have read two of D'Arcy's books, Furneaux book and severl magazine articals over the years. What I am interested in seeing is how being Blair's crony filters his view of his buddy's way of dealing with the Oak Island situation post 1900 when Blair let other people use their money to search and yet still expected a huge percentage of the wealth if treasure was found.
JodyLane3
Digging for Gold

Postby Tank04 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:56 pm

Jody,

Bring your excellent question into perspective. This being 2013, I'm sure if I were Blair and you were Harris we would chronicle the story with the same bias everyone else writes with, it's human nature. With something like this, a history very complicated, not particularly well recorded or stored, and people coveting and hiding critical information for themselves, no wonder we observe things in books that don't add up. Sometimes, it is a guessing game and other times as with some chroniclers, you will find out and out fabrication and or terribly poor leaps of faith in judgement like a recent encounter you had with that guy from British Columbia.

Keep this in mind, D’Arcy’s first book, the Money Pit, was so well received that both Dan Blankenship and David Tobias lauded D’Arcy’s work. No small feat if you ask me. I think you are giving yourself a good OI education, well done.
Last edited by Tank04 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Curator, Explore Oak Island Display,visit: http://chesterbound.com/Oak%20Island/ex ... Island.htm
Tank04
Treasure hunter

Postby JodyLane3 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:18 pm

Hey Danny,

It's not so much about perspective on Harris' part. I guess you could say it is an outsider's perspective, mine. I always felt that Blair's stranglehold on the treasure trove liense for 50 years after his syndicate failed actually cost many hances that the mystery could have been solved. His wanting upwards of 50 percent of anything found while other people used their money just doesn't sit well with me. Having read some of his correspondence about the Oak Island situation gives me the impression of someone cold, un=moving and, well, greedy. Plus he wasn't above using deception to maintain his control over the island. I believe it was Harris, who was Blair's lawyer, who told John Lewis that Blair had just rebewed the ttl at the time Lewis bought the island when in fact Blair's ttl petition was still pending. Lewis could have applied for his own but not knowing this he sold out to Chappell. I hope I have remembered my facts right. Anyway that is the point of view I am looking at the Blair years in the book from.

Take Care,
Jody
JodyLane3
Digging for Gold

Postby Tank04 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:16 pm

Jody,

I heard a quote one time about businessmen that resonated with me. It is from your President John Kennedy in 1962 who said, “all businessmen are sons of bitches.” There is good philosophy contained in that quote and it is thought provoking. Detractors of McInnis, Chappell, Blair, Harris, Restall, Tobias, Blankenship, Nolan or the Michigan Group for that matter will always find a way to vilify their adversary as the absolute spawn of Satan himself especially if they don’t get what they want. 8)
Tank04
Treasure hunter

Postby JodyLane3 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:55 pm

Danny,

Good point. I had never thought of it that way. As I don't villify any of the others, I guess I should not do so to Blair and his way of doing things. I guess that is one of the major points of frustration with the whole Money Pit experience. So many what ifs. What if Blair had done things differently. What if Dunfield had the money to keep digging. Et cetera.

Thanks for a dose of reality.

Jody
JodyLane3
Digging for Gold

Postby Tank04 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:28 pm

Jody,

I have heard some pretty terrible things said about a lot of treasure hunters, past and present over the past fourty years, and I always offer a dose of reality (advice) when people are critical. I have even made enemies for offering an alternate opinion about past and deceased treasure hunters instead of jumping on the "lets get that guy" band wagon. At the end of the day, I have never met Harris or Blair personally and maybe they were not very nice men, but, they worked their butts off over Oak Island and I can't help but admire that. They sure gave us lots of discussion points.

Lots of "ifs" and lots of maybes, but no treasure to date. Lets see where 2013 leads us and attempts at solving this puzzle by Oak Island Tours Inc. I’m certainly excited and will be watching from afar like everyone else and anticipating making some major changes to my Explore Oak Island Display in the old Chester Train Station. Maybe even a Doubloon or piece of Templar treasure for the display if I can buy something cheap enough from OITI or the auction houses. :wink:
Tank04
Treasure hunter

Postby JodyLane3 on Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:03 pm

As usual me going off half cocked with an opinion. Is there a way to remove this whole thread and pretend I don't have foot in mouth disorder?
JodyLane3
Digging for Gold

Postby Tank04 on Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:16 pm

Jody,

Hell no!!!

Join the rest of us who at one point or another have suffered with varying degrees of "foot in mouth disorder." :lol:
Tank04
Treasure hunter

Next

Return to General Discussion