Money Pit location today.

The place for Oak Island related discussion. Got a question about the mystery? Need some pointers on where to find out more?

Moderators: Jo, admiralbenbow

Money Pit location today.

Postby JodyLane3 on Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:43 pm

I am trying to figure out, while bouncing from site to site, the actual lay out of the original Money Pit excavation area. This is in terms of the original Pit and the other shafts in connection to it, basically a lay out grid of sorts kind of map. Many things are confusing to me especially in light of R2D2's dad's excavations in 1965-66. Specifically the exact location of the original pit today. I remember asking the question a long time back but the answer left me somewhat unclear as to what the shaft entrance is in the picture that is on the internet as being the Money Pit. Thanks again.

Jody
JodyLane3
Digging for Gold

Re: Money Pit location today.

Postby Jo on Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:58 am

HI Jody,

Have you checked out the John Whitney Lewis notes? They were made in 1957 and incude extensive annotated diagrams of the dig sites.

You can download the full document, but it's pretty big, so please be patient!

http://www.oakislandtreasure.co.uk/archive/lewis.pdf

Let me know if it helps, otherwise I can have a route around through my files for other material which may be of assistance.

Jo
[b]Website & Forum Manager[/b]
http://www.oakislandtreasure.co.uk

Keep up to date with the Oak Island treasure hunt by following us on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/OakIsland
Jo
Site Admin

Postby MI Gofer on Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:33 pm

Jo -

I am, once again, struck by how incredibly helpful you are to the many readers and posters. I know this website is something you take care of outside of your employment ~ and yet you always take the time to assist everyone and track down requested documents.

THANK YOU on behalf of your many fans!

Cheers -
Shari
MI Gofer
Digging for Gold

Postby Jo on Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:49 pm

Ahh, gee, thanks Shari!

I haven't had the time I'd like to dedicate to the forum recently, but I am here to help. Anyone can drop me an email and I will get back to you eventually, I promise :)

Jo

oakislandtreasure@gmail.com
[b]Website & Forum Manager[/b]
http://www.oakislandtreasure.co.uk

Keep up to date with the Oak Island treasure hunt by following us on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/OakIsland
Jo
Site Admin

Postby JodyLane3 on Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:29 am

Thanks Jo. I appreciate it. Doing fine here in Indiana. Weather is turning cold so I figure the window for work up on the island is growing short.

Jody
JodyLane3
Digging for Gold

Postby Vincent on Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:40 am

All,

The easiest way to detemine the location of the original DDM pit is to stand approx. 12feet N,NW of what we know as the MP today, what we see is the left overs from the Hedden shaft and not the real MP at all.
Another way would be to stand in the depression on the south shore where the Welling triangle used to be and head directly north, I cannot remember how many feet it is (D'Arcy will know the answer to that), using both of these methods should place you to within a couple of feet of the center of the original MP.
The exact location of the center of the original pit has more than likely been lost over the years, both Hedden and Dunsfield did some excellent field sketches but I am inclined to believe that their idea of the exact location of the original pit may have been based on hearsay/legend just as much then as it is today, as there are no physical remains of the original MP (due to constant digging and back filling) it is very difficult to say.
Quick pass me a spade! I`ve had another idea.
Vincent
Future Tour Guide

Postby JodyLane3 on Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:34 pm

I knew the photograph of the Money Pit timbers was not the actual pit. It took checking out O'Connor book at the library to find out that the 1965-66 excavations had left the Hedden shaft intact. That was what was confusing me as to how so much was dug up and yet it remained. Then again why dig up something that was a dead end anyway.
JodyLane3
Digging for Gold

Postby JodyLane3 on Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:38 pm

I have been printing out some of the various letters and reports from the site at a library so I can further study what has been done on the island by some of the people, like Blair's letters, to see what their experiences were at the time. Quite fascinating.
JodyLane3
Digging for Gold

Return to General Discussion